Saturday, February 1, 2014

Not the typical love story


Our 1976 Engagement Picture
Our love story is not the typical fairy tale love story.  We met at 11 and 12 years old.  Our family's spent a fun summer swimming, boating and playing games and then lost track of each other.  It was years later while I was at Ricks, we met up again.  We had a whirlwind romance, engaged in 2 weeks and married in 4 months, not something I would recommend.  We got off to a rocky start and that rocky road continued for 10 years.  We began a family quickly.  We were expecting Bambi 2 weeks after we were married.  She was 18 months old when we brought T.J. into the world.  T.J. as 14 months old when Kelli Jo joined us and Kelli Jo was 3 when Casey finally came and then returned back to his Heavenly Home.  During those first 10 years there were many ups and many downs.  Many friends and family never expected that we would get through those times.  There were times we didn't think we would get through those times.  I reflect on pictures and remember so many, many good times and then so many difficult times.  Kelly always had this great big, tremendous heart.  He was always charismatic and loveable.  He draws people to him with ease.  With the difficult times in our lives, we always had love for each other, but sometimes that love wasn't as firmly set as it should have been.  We endured.  Despite his questioning of the gospel in his life, I, as wife always understood his love of God and his desire to serve God, even when it didn't really seem that way.  Gratefully the Lord always encouraged me on teaching me about his strengths.  The Lord always put good people in our home and lives to guide us and encourage us.  Bishops' and Home Teachers influenced Kelly's learning and helped him to personally overcome challenges that faced him.

There are many experiences, challenges, etc. that I would share, but will leave to my own heart for contemplation and understanding.  The Lord has been a constant influence in our lives, especially during the trials we were blessed to experienced.  The loss of our 5 month old son strengthened us individually and as a family.  We learned the importance of eternal families and working toward that end.  As we watched our daughter share a child through adoption with another family, our testimony was strengthened by the ultimate Christlike love shared by families, ours, the baby's fathers (our daughter especially) and the adopted family.

Now as we go though this experience of cancer, we are drawing together as a couple.  I feel Kelly's deep love for me as his eternal companion.  As he wraps his arms around me I feel his priesthood and husband protection and that has gotten me through many dark and scarey hours.  He reminds me to wear my mask, to lay down when I'm tired and he cares for me in the most special ways.  He is teaching our children, through example, what it is to be a caring, priesthood husband, protecting and caring for me in the most intimate ways.  Even just by a loving glance.

I have learned just how much more I love him.  It's more that just being comfortable with each other as we were, but not taking one another for granted.  We acknowledge one another.  The good night snuggle, not just a kiss. The goodbye kiss in the morning, never knowing what the day brings.  This has been one of the blessings to come out of this experience we call cancer.  I pray this growth and love continues forward in strength that we may have another 37 years together.  I love you Kelly Harman, forever and always.  You are my knight in shining armor and my hero for the great adversities you have overcome in your live and for the man you have become.!!!  My life is and always has been improved and enriched with you in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment