Monday, February 24, 2014

Another Post from my friend Jen Eborn's blog.

Look Good... Feel Better

The title is very deceiving if you ask me. I don't know that if you look good that you actually do feel better, however, for this adventure I will say this...the beauty that surrounded me during this event was far more than one would ever be able to state in a mere blog post. :)

My beautiful friend Tammy is about to start the downhill slide of her chemo treatments but not before attending a class they provided to her that would open up my eyes a little more and allow Tammy to embrace this new found beauty she sees as her reflection each and every morning.

When I picked up Tammy Thursday evening I immediately worried. She looked so tired. Her cheeks were sunken in and I could tell by just how she was carrying herself that she was a little 'off'. Now she had some family trials come up the previous few days before but it wasn't that and so I double checked that she was feeling up to attending. And true to Tammy being stellar..she said yes. We visited on our way up to the hospital (and I will admit that I LOVE this time with my friend!) and were soon heading up the elevator. And then we were welcomed by some beautiful ladies who were there to put on this 'class' if you will.
As we sat a couple of more ladies arrived and sat down. One gal that I can't seem to get out of my mind even a few days later, could not have been much older than I am. And she was here for round two (yes 2) of cancer. My heart sunk at learning that. Here sat a beautiful young woman, who shared with us that she is a Mom to three boys, and she was having to deal with this horrible disease for a second time. I sat and thanked my Heavenly Father for strength as I sat among these women...whose strength will far exceed mine. Ever.
The FREE bag of goodies that Tammy got to play with (& take home!)
Practicing what was being taught
Eye makeup
I take for granted more often than not (okay, I usually complain about my eyelashes and how I need to be sure to put mascara on so they won't twine together throughout the day!) my eyelashes, my eyebrows...my hair on my head. I find myself complaining about having to do this to my hair or if I just didn't have to worry about makeup, etc. And then I am humbled in an outing. And I am taken back by the beauty of the most strong woman I know!
Finishing touches
Tammy is so beautiful. And yes, she didn't feel well (she admits it now) that night. She didn't have to pick me to share in this experience with her, but she did. I didn't just get an opportunity to see true, pure, real beauty but rather I got to witness the spirit and strength of real honor. Real courage.

I am truly amazed at the strength of not just Tammy but of all the women that were sitting around the tables that evening. I am so grateful I had the opportunity to witness as each of them had their 'shining moment' in their own handheld mirror that evening. But most importantly, I am so grateful to have this amazing woman in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment