Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Smiles and giggles

It's been a long two weeks since my treatment on the 13th.  My body is doing strange things in reaction to the chemo. 
I've determined a pattern for the last 4 treatments.  I want to include this as informational and not as complaining.  I realize that my experience could be so, so much worse.
Thursday--Chemo day and body good
Friday-- Good day
Saturday and Sunday--Extreme fatigue and most time resting.
Monday thru Sunday--My throat and mouth have this unusual white coating that causes even more nausea than the chemo.  It feels like I have this terrible cold.  A dry hacking cough ends up in my chest.  I spoke with Dr. Ward's nurses and after explaining these symptoms received the explanation that they had never heard of someone reacting this way and that it must just be my body's way of dealing with the chemo.  Suggestions were given to try a humidifier and maybe my mouth was reacting this was because of dry mouth so to try Biotene. These are my most discouraging days.
Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday my mouth, fingers and feet feel like they are experiencing a chemical burn, but at the same time my energy levels are coming back and I start feeling much better.  It is really good to have good days to renew my body and spirit.  I am really learning to appreciate good health and feeling good.
Bishop Elliott is one who asks me regularly why I smile all the time.   My answer is that I have the gospel in my life and that is joy and gives me a constant reason to smile.  Smiling helps overcome any discouragement I may feel in life and provides a positive attitude in the day.

I received a message from Amanda Larsen that she had been in the grocery store and saw a bright, cheery bouquet reminding her of my bright, cheery smile when I enter a room.   They were on my front porch to brighten my day.  During the week  several friends asked if they could come and see me.  





 

They wanted to see my bright, cheery smile.
Annette and Sara brought with them another bright and beautiful bouquet.  I will completely enjoy the brightness of these flowers, when I'm too tired to smile.
I was lying in bed feeling very discouraged (night times are the worst) and wondered, "I feel so crummy, will I ever smile like I have in the past?"    Of course the answer is yes and the reason for the smile has not changed in any way.  I smile because I love my Savior and the life he has given me.  I smile because of the sacrifices that have been made in my behalf and because of the tender mercies I have been given, especially the past few months.  The feeling of crumminess will not overpower the smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment