Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Surgery

Well that anticipated day of meeting with the plastic surgeon to discuss reconstruction arrived.  We met with Dr. Goodwin and Dr. Agarwal and were set at peace with these skilled surgeons.  Our questions were answered and the choices were placed before us.  More decisions and more waiting.

Dr. Nelson asked that I call after meeting with these doctors and a surgery date would be set.  We will be facing the big day on November 18th.  I must say I was a bit disappointed that it is two and a half weeks away, but the Lord is in charge and there must be things to accomplish before then. I will trust in the Lord's timing and try to be patient.

In the last eight years since moving to Utah, I have learned to trust the Lord's timing.  It seems that things have happened within our family, deaths, births, surgery's, etc. that seem to work within a time frame that is helpful for all.

As I sat in the waiting room with Kelly, a young woman came in that had just recently had a mastectomy.  From her waist hung two fluid drainage bags.  In the research I have done I had read about having these bags for a couple weeks after surgery, but have to admit that I was little freaked out by seeing them.  I thought to myself, "Please wake me up from this dream I am having!!"\

It's appropriate that in my Pathways class I am attending, the lesson for this week had some poignant points for me to consider.
One of the talks was by Elder M. Russell Ballard.  Permit me to quote what reached out to me.
He said during a serious illness,  "One of my colleagues said to me that some good would come from this illness.  He suggested that it is good, on occasion, for everyone to face adversity, especilly if it causes introspection that enables us to openly and honestly assess our lives......Sometimes we need a personal crisis to reinforce in our minds what we really value and cherish.  The scriptures are filled with examples of people facing crises before learning how to better serve God and others.   Some of that assessing has begun and I'm sure there will be much more introspection in the coming months.

No comments:

Post a Comment